Thursday, August 25, 2005

Earthquake!!!

So I was sitting here about 11 o'clock last night blogging my little heart out when the floor starts shaking and I hear a low rumble. I thought Geof was up to something so I stopped and listened a minute and it happened again. Then I thought someone was ramming my house with a car so I grabbed Geof, who was sound asleep, and the phone and went outside to investigate. I didn't see anything. Odd, I thought. I called the neighbor to see if perhaps she had felt the same thing. Sure enough she felt it too. I felt a little better then, knowing that I wasn't under attack and that I wasn't going crazy. Turns out there was an earthquake not too far from here with a 3.8 magnitude. This was my first earthquake experience. I think I would have appreciated it more had I known what the hell was going on. It was cool and creepy as hell at the same time. The term "solid ground" doesn't have the same gravity for me now!! I found a very interesting site and did some research. Just a few minutes after the quake they had information up about it's location and magnitude. I also found out that the largest earthquake in North Carolina's history happened in 1916 in a town that is about 5 miles away!! Apparently, I'm living on a major fault line and didn't even know it. So about this website, this is the second time it has come in handy. I highly recommend it for up-to-date information about any natural disasters or occurrences in your area. Last September during the floods it was nice to be able to see real-time data for the river that was threatening to wash away our entire town!

I guess now I'll have something cool to report to Nathaniel when he asks if he's missed anything exciting!

4 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

Earthquake on the eastern seaboard, yikes! I thought we were immune to that stuff.

August 25, 2005 9:26 AM  
Blogger nu. said...

hi! just found out your new blog address! great to read your posts again.

August 25, 2005 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago I felt an earthquake in New Hampshire of all places! My husband thought I was crazy UNTIL I found it on this same website!

August 25, 2005 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some scary stuff! Are you anywhere near Asheville? I used to spend some time there a while ago. Such beautiful country. Glad you are all OK!

August 26, 2005 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon