Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Riding The Potty Train

photo courtesy of corbis.com

On Tuesday, I will "celebrate" three years of diaper duty. Sure I haven't been the only one to change Geof's diapers, I've had help, but I've changed more than anyone else. Tonight, however, my little guy pooped in the pot for the very first time and after over 6 months of potty training, this is definitely a high point. He'll pee in the pot most of the time, but still has accidents, but this is the first time he's pooped....and I mean a real poop, not a little rabbit pellet. I realize all you folks out there without children are most likely appalled that I'm blogging about this, and that's ok. But I'm sure I do have an audience who's been in my same situation. Here's how it all went down...he came to me and said, "Mommy, I feel like I need to go potty." I put him on the toilet and he stayed there for several minutes. I went back when he said he was finished. I checked like I always do and to my surprise there was the most beautiful turd I'd ever seen. It wasn't particularly beautiful by any means, just your average turd, but it was beautiful because he put it there and not in a diaper. We celebrated; I did my happy dance, he did his happy dance, I hugged and kissed him and told him how proud I am of him and then I started tearing up. I'm not going to miss diapers at all, but it hit me like a ton of bricks how fast he's growing up. He's a kid and he's doing what kids do, but it still tugs at the ol' heart strings. He's been a baby/toddler for so long it's painful and beautiful all at the same time to witness his growth towards manhood. It's just like the book says..."I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

1 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

That is big news! However, I have to tell you, using public potties is icky! I kept a potty in my car for years (still there, hasn't been used in two years) for such emergencies.

January 26, 2006 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon