Friday, June 16, 2006

If A Snake Is Run Over And No One Is Around To Hear It, Does It Still Make That Horrible Sound?

I went out this morning to sit on my porch, have my morning cigarette, and make my daily to-do list when I happened to see a snake in the road. It was trying to make it's way across the hot road away from our yard. I called out to Geof and we went to marvel at it's movements. Geof seemed quite intrigued and we watched the snake for several minutes until I heard a car coming down the road. We headed back to the house and as the car passed I heard I terrible SNAP, I figured the car had hit a stick. I realized after I turned around that it had been the snake! The bastard ran over it! It was just a black snake, a Black Rat Snake or Elaphe obsoleta to be more specific. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan of snakes at all, but why kill a black snake? Black snakes eat rats and mice among other things. I can still hear that horrible sound.....shiver...Geof was even a bit put off by it. He said to me, after I explained what happened, "Would you tell that freakin' car to stop breaking up those things!" I had a good chuckle over that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

Although not a snake fan, I am not a person who likes to hear, see or actually hit anything with a car/truck/SUV. However, if I had seen that big ass snake, I probably would have swerved all over the road and screamed. Nice snake or not.

June 17, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger nu. said...

that is awful! especially since it was just trying to cross the road. i once witnessed a cat being run over by three cars in quick succession... it was dead after the third car, but i'm sure the last few seconds of its life was agony! i felt terribly for it, poor defenseless thing.

June 25, 2006 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon