Friday, September 07, 2007

Pounding The Pavement

Why didn't I listen to my parents? It's tough finding a decent job that doesn't require more than a high school education. When I left college, I didn't realize how badly I was shooting myself in the foot. Well, I didn't realize at that point that my life was about to take an unexpected detour either. I knew I would return to school eventually, I just didn't think it would be too far in the future. I'm still a couple years away from going back at this point. I guess this is what happens when you lay on the fast forward button in life!

I've been "pounding the pavement", as they say, in search of employment. Sure, I could go to my local national chain burger joint but the pay wouldn't cover a third of the cost of daycare. I'm beginning to see why single parent families depend on public assistance. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I printed out my very first resume today. It took me about 2 1/2 days to type up, not because of any abundance in education or work experience but because I found it so damn hard to tout my strengths. I really need to work on my vanity or at least my self esteem. Tomorrow I will hand in my resume and application for a position at the local tax collectors office. It would be perfect for me; Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, and it's salaried. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I am crossing several fingers and toes. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

I've gone a couple places and had on-the-spot interviews. I would have been hired both times if I didn't want to make any money! I've done some number crunching and I have to make at least $9/hour to cover my expenses along with daycare and half a car payment. $8.50/hour is my break even point, and any more than that is icing on the cake. Not so easy to do with only some college under my belt and living in a small town. Things are better here than where I grew up at least, but not by much. I'm sure I'll find something eventually, I'd just feel a lot better if it was a little sooner than later.

*photo courtesy of corbis.com*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon