Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"I don't see no art"...

I'm ashamed to say that exact phrase came spilling out of my child's mouth. Last weekend Nathaniel drove us around downtown Charlotte because I'd never been in the heart of the city. We drove past an interesting piece of abstract sculptural art and I commented on it. That's when the verbal diarrhea came out. I cringe even thinking about it now. It was like fingernails on a chalk board. We live in the South and everyone knows about the stereotypical Southerner. Because of that Nathaniel and I have been vigilant in teaching Geof how to speak with proper grammar and a minimal accent if any at all. I'm proud of where I come from, but I also know how Southerners can be viewed. And no, we don't all live in trailer parks, fuck our cousins, or talk about the War of Northern Aggression...(see, I'm funny too!). In other words, I try not to be too obviously Southern. With that said, it was still funnier than hell!

1 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

I recall the first time I heard Elena say "I ain't gonna......"-I swear I shrieked! I told her "We don't use 'ain't' in this house and where did you hear it and it's wrong, wrong, wrong"-I has less reaction when she said "shit" to something.

November 15, 2007 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon